According to Wikipedia, Onli is a rare Artist who has created two visual art genres.

According to Wikipedia, Onli is a rare Artist who has created two visual art genres.
All artwork on this blog is Copyright 2024 Turtel Onli , and other dates. All Rights Protected & not to be remixed, rebooted or used commercially without a signed agreement with Prof. Onli. The smaller images on the right are links to reels or related websites.

Sunday, September 20, 2020

Sept. 20th 2020:

Long ago I expanded the  "Black Art Movement" beyond the notion of simply being art that tells a story about neglected moments in Black American History or art done by Blacks.  That and this narrative tribute to oppression and suffering.  I exploded the idea of Black Thought. Ideation.  Intelligence in the visual domain.  

I named it Rhythmism.  That was in the early 1970s. I was not yet 20. Not yet in Art School.

 As the term genius is often applied to artists such as Dali, Picasso and Van Gogh....my mission was to rise to that level of 'genius".  Based on the set of criterions established by the mainstream, I set out on this path in 1970. No I never asked for permission!  If I had...just who would I have asked?

 Here in this much appreciated and generous Flex Residency at the Hyde Park Art Center, I made the critical pivot away from being experimental.  Where I had suffered ever-present barrage of the isms of Racism. Ageism.  Genderism and Heterophobia.   I persisted in testing the attributes of Rhythmism with often hostile oversight.  Rather it was instructors at the School of the Art Institute who insisted those efforts was beneath my talent followed by calling me a fraud and declaring it and I did not belong at the school.  Well?  I earned two degrees there. I did it the "American way".  Boot-straps pulled up.  Using my own money and Black- Yankee-Know-How.  Blue collar work ethic all the way.  Those punks got my pity and distancing.

Took all lickin's and came out kickin"!



I explored and tested  Rhythmism as a major market illustrator with clients such as Playboy, Holt, Rinehart & Winston plus the Paris Metro, The Rolling Stones and MODE Avante Garde.  All with intense oversight.  I knew the power and promise of Rhythmism in my studio.....but the real test was with clients.  In situations not of my control of creation.  Places where most dared not go.

Non-believers and curious righteous folks are encouraged to Wiki or Google my name.  Turtel Onli for more mainstreamed confirmation of this artistic epic.

Now with a two mother extension....Summer / Fall 2020.  I will do the elusive $100.00 T-Shirt.  Dynamic Egg Dishes and more.  While completing panels for my growing future-primitif "Rhythmistic Quilts" Collection. 

 This is not for the mediocre taste of art!



Now I declare the experiment a success! It has influenced many.  It predates the trend called Afrofuture.  It destroys our good friend Post-Black.  There is no force like an idea whose time has come.  A practice too Black and too brilliant to fit into the slots in galleries and museums so far. 

They have often said to me.....with great intensity,  "How dare you....a mere artist name a genre?  That is for us to do. Dali, Picasso and Van Gogh didn't name a genre and you are none of them!!" 

 That is exactly my point. I am not of them!

 I trust they will be the ready because this truth is upon them too

Rhythmism Lives!


A welcomed inspiring visit from a HPAC  resident artist, Zakkiyyah Najeebah is a Chicago-based visual artist, educator, and independent curator. 



 ONLI STUDIOS welcomes you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment